You are here
The British Foreign Minister travels to Iran after a new allegation of a statement against an imprisoned British-Iranian citizen         United Kingdom 

The British Foreign Minister travels to Iran after a new allegation of a statement against an imprisoned British-Iranian citizen      

Iran’s Foreign Minister, Boris Johnson, will travel to Iran after a brief statement of the Iranian authorities has raised another indictment against an already imprisoned British-Iranian woman.

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe traveled to Iran with his little daughter for a family visit last spring, but when he returned to London he was detained at the Tehran airport and imprisoned on charges of attempting to overthrow the Iranian regime.
The Iranian prosecution has never officially announced the length of prison sentence, but Ratan’s Ratginho’s British husband Richard Ratcliffe believes that his wife was sentenced to five years and has been detained in Evin prison in Tehran since then.
On the weekend, however, he was again brought to justice and another indictment was filed against this time for the dissemination of propaganda against the Iranian regime.
As a precedent, Boris Johnson said last week that he heard the Foreign Affairs Committee of the Lower House of London, knowing that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe “simply held a journalist course”.
This statement by the British Minister of Foreign Affairs practically refuted Richard Ratcliffe’s view that his wife traveled to Iran exclusively for family reunion. The same view is taken by the employer of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, Thomson Reuters, a global information service conglomerate based in London.
The CEO of the Thomson Reuters Foundation, Monique Villa, called on Johnson to “immediately acknowledge a serious mistake”. The director of the foundation emphasized that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe was “not a journalist and never qualified journalist” at the foundation, where he worked as a program director.
Richard Ratcliffe also demanded that the British Foreign Minister “not be silenced”.
According to British press reports, a recent Iranian indictment may extend the imprisonment of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe up to twice as much.
Chief Prosecutor of Tehran had previously accused the imprisonment of Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe that he was overseeing an Internet journalist course on the BBC’s Persian language service that recruited and trained people for the dissemination of anti-Iran propaganda.
The British Foreign Ministry spokesman announced on Tuesday that Boris Johnson spoke to the Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohamed Džavad Zarif, with whom he was informed that his statements by the lower house would not be the basis of another indictment against Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe. Johnson asked his Iranian counterpart to release Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe from humanitarian considerations and to inform the Iranian Foreign Minister that he would visit Teheran before the end of the year to resolve the case.
Speaking to London spokesman Mohamed Džavad Zaríf told Tuesday in a telephone conversation on Johnson that new criminal developments in the British-Iranian sentenced party did not relate to what had been said in Parliament last week. Iranian Foreign Minister added, however, that he was ready to work with the British Government to resolve the case.
Johnson’s spokesman, the British Foreign Minister now acknowledges that he could “have made it clearer” at the Commission hearing.

Source: MTI

További Hírek:

Leave a Comment